Association for the Physically Disabled (APD)
Private Bag X1, Parkview 2122
Ansprechpartner: Desiree A. Muller
- Sozialpolitik/behinderte Menschen
- Freiwillige Helfer sind willkommen.
Since 1934 the registered non-profit organisation APD has helped thousands of South Africans to overcome the tragic consequences of physical disability; to discover for themselves that there is life after physical disability. We are totally committed to working in partnership with people who have physical disabilities, their families and the community as a whole, in order to promote their integration into society, and to enable them to achieve their full potential
Our Mission is to provide relevant and quality services to persons with primarily physical disabilities and to the community as a whole, including services that:
• Promote and protect the interests and well-being of persons with physical disabilities.
• Further the development and empowerment of persons with physical disabilities.
• Prevent the occurrence of disabling conditions.
• Remove physical, legal and psycho-social barriers and foster non-disabled/disabled relationships to make it possible for persons with physical disabilities to live independently and to participate fully in their communities
Services provided by the APD:
• Social work services: to assist people with disabilities (pwd’s) and their families to resolve their personal problems - both psychological and physical - and empower them to develop towards an independent lifestyle.
• Attendant care services: dealing with the daily physical needs of indigent members of the community who are permanently or temporarily disabled.
• Daveyton Motivation & Assessment Clinic, which assists in the education of mothers and stimulation of disabled children up to the age of 7 years.
• Protective workshops: providing opportunities for pwd's to develop and improve their skills and to earn an income to supplement their pensions.
• Volunteer programme
• Wheelchair repair & rental service
Desiree A. Muller is the Public Relations & Events Officer of APD.
For other net participants we can offer an expert guidance through trained staff, give an expert opinion, procure expert information and establish new contacts in the field of our work.