Internationales Frauenzentrum Bonn e.V
ifz Bonn e.V.
Ansprechpartner: Gertrud Smid
- Antirassismus, Integrationspolitik
- Frauenpolitik/feministisches Projekt
The Bonn International Women's Center - ifz - evolved in 1999 from efforts to put into practice the goals of the Local Agenda 21. It was founded by women actively dedicated to work for the then Foreign Residents’ Advisory Council (Ausländerbeirat) of the City of Bonn and the Agenda Working Group "Women One World". The Bonn International Women's Center is a meeting place for national, international and cultural exchange. The ifz has approximately 170 members, coming from Europe, Asia, Africa and America as well as organisations dedicated to work for peace, refugees and women. The ifz supports the cause of peace and human rights and works to achieve more justice between men and women. The ifz takes an active part in information campaigns about women rights. Women are encouraged to stand up for their own interests and to commit themselves in the social field. The ifz serves as a platform for networking the different women's activities in Bonn. ifz is an open forum, non-partisan, non-denominational and cross-generational.
The Bonn International Women's Center is a multicultural institution. The Executive Committee is composed of women of different nationalities. More than 20,000 women from 164 countries live in Bonn; each of them has her own migration story. The ifz works for their integration while encouraging them to preserve their cultural identity. Together with German women, they are planning the Center's programme. At the ifz, women and organisations meet on a regular basis in order to carry out activities aimed at living together in a spirit of tolerance and equality. The ifz makes it possible for migrants to participate in various bodies, to set up discussion groups, for example for women speaking Russian, Spanish or Arabic/Sudanese. The ifz is frequently visited by international delegations of women. These visits offer opportunities for an international dialogue. Nearly all women of the ifz do their work on an honorary basis. The legal status of the The Bonn International Women's Center is that of a non-profit-making organisation.
The Bonn International Women's Center provides information through lectures, workshops and working groups on
• the cultural, legal and social situation of women in different countries,
• global and local relations in the fields of economics, politics and society,
• topics, such as health, Aids, war, asylum, migration policy from the viewpoint of women.
The Bonn International Women's Center offers
• training courses to empowering women
• to assist women who seek advisory services
• to accompany women when dealing with local authorities
• to provide information on all events to women in Bonn
• German language and career-oriented courses to migrant women
• psychological and intercultural advice to individuals, groups and binational families.
Gertrud Smid is the managing director of ifz (Germany).
For other net participants we can offer an expert guidance through trained staff, give an expert opinion, procure expert information and establish new contacts in the field of our work.