People for Peace in Africa
P.O. box 66410
Ansprechpartner: Joseph Ngala
- Spirituelle Organisation
People for Peace in Africa (PPA) is a voluntary ecumenical gathering of people committed to initiating and supporting peace activities throughout Africa. PPA came into being in 1989 when peace talks were being held in Nairobi between the Government of Sudan and the Sudan People’s Liberation Movement/Army (SPLM/A); Ethiopian Government and Eritrea People’s Liberation Front (EPLF); and Mozambique Government and Renamo.
Peace Education and Awareness Raising:
• Encouraging people to pray for peace and work for peace ecumenically. Many cards of the prayer of St. Francis in several languages have been distributed in and outside Kenya.
• Initiating a pilot program of peace education in the schools.
• Providing guidance to refugees and displaced people.
• Using Africa refugee Day to raise awareness about the plight of refugees.
Reconciliation Workshops and Mediation:
• Supporting peace initiatives in the horn of Africa with particular emphasis on the Sudan.
• Encouraging the warlords, warring factions, religious leaders and elders to talk peace and justice wherever and whenever they are willing and assisting with peace process by advising those engaged in arbitration.
• Facilitating workshops and seminars on justice, reconciliation, conflict resolution, peace making and trauma healing (with emphasis on African ways of healing).
Advocacy and Networking:
• Advocating Human Rights and Justice through networking with other peace groups. Networking is vital because PPA wants to share its vision of peace with human dignity with the broadest possible range of ecumenical and non-governmental organizations and to influence their agendas.
• Encouraging church leaders, people at the grassroots level to understand regional issues involving peace and reconciliation, for example, the East Africa Treaty.
• Exchanging communication experiences and sharing resources with groups working for social and cultural changes. PPA will do this through international meetings, larger meetings of PPA, the Newsletter, Promotional material and on the internet.
Joseph Ngala is the Director of the organization.
For other net participants we can offer an expert guidance through trained staff, give an expert opinion, procure expert information and establish new contacts in the field of our work.