BENKADI e.V. KulturRaumAfrika
Muskauer Str. 50
10997 Berlin 7
Contact person: Dr. Edda Brandes
- Aid for developing countries
- Antiracism, policy of integration
- Women's policy
- Overnight facilities
- Volunteers are welcome.
BENKADI means assent, good understanding, harmonious togetherness within a group of people. This is the motto of the society, founded in 2004, with the aim of “fostering cultural life in Africa“ and based on intercultural dialogue.
Through its activities BENKADI counters the negative reports in the media as regards African culture: the artistic heritage expressed through music, dance, drama, the visual arts, and the oral tradition of stories, poems, fairy tales and legends. The wealth of communication and life strategies in civil African communities. Local knowledge about a life in harmony with nature – ecological - holistic – modern.
BENKADI e.V. Kultur Raum Afrika supports numerous projects.
BENKADI e.V. is run by 20 private individuals and works independently of politics or religion.
• Orphanage in Bamako/Mali
• The fight against FGM. (Female Genital Mutilation)
• Operations for women and girls. Women and girls who were circumcised in their youth or as adults can suffer serious health problems as a result. BENKADI e.V. has been able to contribute to operations on 55 women and 2 small girls, relieving them of their suffering.
• Sponsorship of ALI DICKO in Bamako/Mali
• Development of a “cultural space” in Fangasso. For a decentralised culture program throughout Africa – cultural work fights poverty!
• Sounds – scientific study of the role of music in the integration of African immigrants in Berlin.
• The publication of CDs of African music on the benkadi fòli serie label.
On request, other net participants can have an overnight stay. In addition we can offer: 1) information about FGM with the film “Ainsi va la vie” – Living with the ritual of circumcision. Mali 2001. 2) contacts in the area of cultural decentralisation in Africa / the fight against FGM.