Architects for Peace-AustraliaPO Box 1446, 186 Smith St
3065 Collingwood, Victoria
|Phone No.:||+61(0)3 98733706|
|Fax No.:||+61(0)3 98733706|
|Contact person:||Maturana, Beatriz C. and Su Mellersh-Lucas|
- Overnight facilities
- Volunteers are welcome.
- Commune, community project
- Environmental organization
- Peace politics
Architects for Peace is a humanitarian, not for profit incorporated professional organization, established in 2003. It is an independent multidisciplinary forum of planners, architects, urban designers, landscape architects, engineers, environmentalists and artists working in the public domain, seeking sustainable urban development based on social justice, solidarity, respect and peace. The name 'Architects for Peace' involves all aspects of city design. In this sense, it uses 'architects' as a term common to all its areas of urban expertise with peace as its goal. Its original aim was to prevent Australian's involvement on the Iraq war. It did not manage to achieve its goal. However, it has managed to bring together a group of urban professionals and students who share the same aspirations for peace. It has groups in Melbourne, Sydney, other areas of Australia and overseas. Its actions are:
- contribute to the peaceful resolution of conflicts affecting nations, cities and the environment; condemn and denounce the promotion of war, contribute and initiate discussion around urban, planning, architectural and environmental issues affecting our cities, people and the environment,
- denounce the involvement of urban professionals in the creation of structures of repression, conflict and silence,
- expose and promote the discussion of political agendas which impinge on peoples' rights to their countries, cities, public spaces, land and their environment,
- support ethical processes of reconstruction following natural or man-made disasters and denounce unethical practices or unscrupulous profiteering, support the engagement of local colleagues in their own process of reconstruction,
- encourage a process of cooperation and exchange between colleagues from different nations and disciplines,
- advocate the importance of the role of educational institutions in promoting social responsibility in our professions,
- discourage our educational institutions from participating in research and development work which is connected with the production of weapons,
- promote respect, dialogue and friendship between cities, villages and nations.
Beatriz C. Maturana (president founder) is an architect and the AFP website editor.
Su Mellersh-Lucas is the vice president of the organization.
For other net participants we can offer overnight facilities. Further we can deliver a lecture and procure expert information in the following fields: responsible urban development, urban social justice and peace. On request and after evaluation, we could work as a team with other organizations for the contribution to specific tasks related to urban development, planning and architecture.