Minus One Support GroupP.O. Box 21
08 Mosta, Malta
|Contact person:||Zammit, Albert|
- Overnight facilities
- Educational policy/project
- Social policy/disabled persons
- Women's policy
The Minus One Support Group is a non-profit organization for young and middle-aged widowed people and their children. It was set up in Malta in June 1997 and for some time was a member of the Federation of Widows and Widowers Associations.
The group aims to help young and middle-aged people to come to terms with their new position in life. It organizes at least two activities every week which are educational, social and/or entertaining. It aims to provide a place where young widows and widowers can meet and discuss their situations while trying to help each other. Great importance is also paid to the children of the widowed. They also welcomed to take active part in the activities "Minus One" also, from time to time, puts proposals to the authorities regarding the situation of the widowed people in Malta. The aims:
- moral and emotional help is given to the widowed and their immediate family,
- information and advise is given to the widowed,
- friendship is formed amongst the widowed who are facing the same problems,
- practical help is made readily available,
- a meeting place is provided for the widowed and their children,
- helps to educate the community in general about the needs of the widowed and their families,
- proposals are presented to the authorities so that adequate legislations can be formulated as with regards to the needs of the widowed and their families.
Full membership is offered to all widowed persons who have not yet reached the age of 55 years or have children in their custody who have not yet reached the age of 18 on the 1st January of the current year. Widowed persons are considered all those who have lost their spouses by means of death be it natural, accidental or by some other means, as long as it has been proved that it has not been caused by any intentional deed of the applicant.
The committee reserves the right to refuse any application if it is felt that the applicant will not be in the interest of the group to join.
For other net participants we can offer overnight facilities. Further we can off expert guidance through trained staff, procure expert information and establish new contacts in the field of our work. We are open for exchange of ideas.