peace brigades international (pbi) – Deutscher Zweig e.V.Bahrenfelder Straße 101 a
|Telefon:||+49 40/38 90 437 – 0|
|Telefax:||+49 40/38 90 437 – 29|
- Politique de la paix
The idea to intervene with the help of "Peace Brigades" in areas of conflict without violence comes from Gandhi with the Shanti Sena or "army of peace". In 1961, this idea was transferred internationally in the form of the "World Peace Brigade", since 1981 in the form of the "Peace Brigades Internatioal" (PBI). In the meantime, there are 16 PBI-country groups world-wide. The German country group consolidated in 1991 in the form of a registered association.
While solutions to conflicts are looked for world-wide almost exclusively in military and economical "logic", PBI goes another way:
- PBI is working for preventative protection of human rights and violence-free conflict transformation by international presence in areas of conflict.
- PBI opposes direct and structural violence with the means of non-violence
- PBI takes the side of human rights and justice but not for a certain organization or ideology.
PBI is convinced that conflicts cannot be solved by violence, but finally only in a dialogue and by understanding. The teams of the international peace brigades therefore support those forces who stand up for human rights in an open, basically democratic and violence-free manner and work their way towards peaceful solutions. PBI neither imposes its own presence nor its own settlement proposals and takes action upon request only.
For PBI, the meaning of violence-free work in conflict situations is:
1. to establish contacts between conflict parties, among affected persons and the international community
2. to spread credible eyewitness accounts and verified information
3. to grant threatened persons and groups international protection by accompanying them and being personally present
4. to support mediation and negotiations, to pass on its own experiences in workshops.
We give lectures and communicate up-to-date specialist information and arrange for contacts referring to our projects and the above mentioend subjects. We offer informative seminars.