Mahatma Ghandi Human Rights OrganizationFerenc krt. 18 Fszt.1,
|Telefon:||+36 (1) 215-8301; +36-30-99-63-567|
|Telefax:||+36 (1) 215-8301|
- Nous acceuillons les bénévoles à bras ouverts.
- Droits de l'Homme
- Antiracisme, politique d'integration
- Politique + projet d'éducation
The Mahamata Gandhi Human Rights Organization is a Budapest based humanitarian organization that was created in 1992.
The vision of the founder, Mr. Gibril Deen, is to fight for the rights of migrants and refugees, to combat racism and discrimination against foreigners and to encourage at all levels social inclusion in our community
Working to combat racism and discrimination, our organization has implemented a number of projects, spacing from legal aid and counseling for migrants and refugees in Hungary to organizing African festivals and cultural events, to workshops and trainings on the Roma community and African culture, discrimination, tolerance and diversity in Budapest high schools.
We enthusiastically partner with other international, governmental and non-governmental organizations who share our vision and goals to eradicate discrimination and human rights abuses, working to promote tolerance and uphold human dignity and the rights of all people.
What we do
• Legal counseling: Our legal experts offer free administrative legal aid and advice every month to approximately 20 refugees and migrants - mostly on residence permits, working visa, family reunification. We take care and accompany our clients for the entire duration of their proceedings or trials, helping with filing applications, appointments with the Immigration Office, possible irregularities in their cases. In case of appeal we represent our clients to court hearings, also providing for translators.
• Prisons&Camps visits: Since 1993 our organisation regularly visits Hungarian refugee camps and prisons hosting foreigners, trying to offer legal advice and providing for extra services, like giving information, delivering packages, books in native languages, support, keeping contacts with the families, and monitoring the respect of people´s rights.
• Pubblic events & cultural programmes: We want to reach as many people as possible through our cultural programmes and conferences. Since 1994, for instance, we take part and have a great time in organizing the famous African Festival in Budapest. With these activities we involve as many participants as possible to show and share our experience and knowledge of African culture, traditions, values, music, dance and food, trying to promote the idea of an inter and multicultural society.
• Language courses: Since 2006 our volunteers have been teaching Hungarian language classes for migrants and refugees: excellent English is not enough, being able to communicate in the local language is of fundamental importance for integration.
• Training programmes: Promote tolerance among students: Since 2003 we started the "Show red card to Racism" campaign in Budapest High Schools, with the aim of fostering tolerance and combating discrimination among students. Our trainers and educator organise roundtables, lectures and public presentations about the Roma community, Africa, and Human Rights.
• Sport programmes: The African Stars Football Team & the "Football against Racism" campaign. In 1994 the Mahatma Gandhi was the first organisation that created the African Stars football team, a team whose players are only refugees and migrants. The team participated in several tournaments and won a number of prizes, including first place in 2006 at the World Cup Against Racism tournament held every year in Italy.
Gibril Deen is the Founder and President of the Mahamata Gandhi Human Rights Organization.
For other net participants we can offer an expert guidance through trained staff, give an expert opinion, procure expert information and establish new contacts in the field of our work.