Salariin Kampuchea (SK)Sala Lodge, Chreav Commune
Siem Reap, Meanchey,
|Phone No.:||+855(0) 12 320 562|
|Contact person:||Vang Ravy|
- Volunteers are welcome.
- Aid organization
- Educational policy/project
Salariin Kampuchea (affectionately known as SK) translates to "School of Cambodia". We are a non-governmental (NGO), non-profit, and non-religious organization established in 2004. Salariin Kampuchea provides high quality, non-formal education to children and youth from disadvantaged families in Siem Reap. We engage the community in the value of education and encourage parents to support their children´s learning.
SK believes education is essential to helping citizens achieve a better life with the potential for upward mobility.
Our mission is to empower youth through high quality education to enable them to successfully navigate the Cambodian job market and build a strong future for themselves. We also engage the community by encouraging parents to support their children´s learning and forming relationships with local businesses to provide opportunities for our students.
• English classes: Our English classes act as a supplement to public education where foreign language classes are severely lacking. One of the primary job markets in Siem Reap is within the tourism sector. Although Cambodia has tourists from all over the world, most of them speak some amount of English. We offer beginner English classes for students as young as 6 so they start learning English at a young age and offer more advanced classes to students as old as 25, making it more likely for students to find a successful career when they graduate.
• Information and Communication Technologies (ICT) classes: Our ICT classes aim to provide our students computer processing skills in a country where only 6% of the population has reliable access to the internet (according to an article published by UNESCO in 2014). Our students learn to type in both English and Khmer, as well as learning the basics of Microsoft products such as PowerPoint and Word. Armed with these computer skills, our students are more likely to find jobs in tourism, administration, nonprofits, and governmental organizations.
• Life Skills classes: Our Life Skills classes offer a robust syllabus from health and nutrition to career preparedness and personal finance. We participate with other local businesses to enable our students to attend seminars and gain valuable part-time work experience while exploring their career options. By providing our students knowledge about their health, physical safety, and how to navigate the job market, we are helping them learn how to build a happy, successful life.
• Football program: Our annual football program draws students from all ages and genders. We partner with a fantastic organization that creates leagues with other schools. This activity is not only getting our students involved in physical activity, it also is teaching them school pride and how to work together as a team. This football league has forged friendships, not only amongst students at SK, but between students from schools across Siem Reap.
Vang Ravy is the Executive Director of Salariin Kampuchea (SK).
For other net participants we can offer an expert guidance through trained staff, give an expert opinion, procure expert information and establish new contacts in the field of our work.