Network against FGM/C in Somaliland (NAFIS)Hagi Nur Road; Badda Cas Jigjiga yar, Koodbuur District,
|Phone No.:||+252 2 570203; +252 63 4000692|
|Contact person:||Abdirahman Osman Gaas|
- Aid organization
- Educational policy/project
- Women's policy
Network against FGM/C in Somaliland (NAFIS) is a non-political, non-governmental and humanitarian network. NAFIS was established in late 2006 in Hargeisa by a number of local NGOs working towards the eradication of FGM/C. Currently, NAFIS has a membership of 20 organizations operating in all the regions of Somaliland. As the only nationwide network of its kind, the main purpose of NAFIS is to combat all forms of FGM/C in Somaliland through coordination and networking, policy framework, research and documentation,
NAFIS envision a society where all forms of violence against women and girls are eliminated
Striving to achieve total eradication of FGM/C through advocacy and lobbying, coordination, information sharing and capacity building of stakeholders.
Areas of work:
• Girls and women protection: To increase prevention and empowerment of women, girls and communities against FGM/C
• Policy framework: To promote stronger protection mechanisms for girls and women at risk of FGM/C
• Support of FGM/C survivors and girls at risk: To promote provision of better comprehensive services to FGM/C survivors and girls at risk
• Research and Development: To increase the understanding of FGM and eradication interventions in Somaliland
• Partnership and Collaboration: To build partnership and collaboration with organizations and bodies involved with FGM eradication in the continent and abroad
• Organizational Development and Growth: To strengthen the organizational capacity of NAFIS
• Implementation of the Self-Help Group Project.
• Implement inter-generational dialogue program
• Raise awareness through debates and the media programs
• Implement Sexual and Gender Based Violence trainings
• Hold coordination and networking meetings for key stakeholders
• Promote publication of FGM research studies in local and international journals and presentation of the studies in local and global conferences
• NAFIS supports the survivors of FGM/C by establishing three support centers in Hargeisa, Borama and Burao and also creating strong referral mechanisms within 21 Mother and child health centers and 3 general hospitals, to support women severing FGM complications
Abdirahman O. Gaas is the Executive Director of the Network against FGM/C in Somaliland (NAFIS).
For other net participants we can offer an expert guidance through trained staff, give an expert opinion, procure expert information and establish new contacts in the field of our work.