Kothowain (Vulnerable Peoples Development Organisation)Bandarban Hill Tract
|Phone No.:||+88-0361-62783; +88-01556561400; +88-01846506927|
|Contact person:||Gabriel Tripura|
- Aid organization
- Educational policy/project
- Social policy/disabled persons
The Kothowain organization (Vulnerable Peoples Devleopment Organization) established in 2003 by some social development activist in response to the issues of extreme poverty, low literacy rate, social and political conflict, eroding cultural identity, and high incidence of human rights violations among the indigenous peoples in the Chittagong Hill Tracts of Bangladesh.
Kothowain a Tripura word meaning "Hope for Survival" was officially registered as a non-government and non-political voluntary development organization in the Social Service Department of Bangladesh Government in 2007.
The organization aims to develop the socio-economic conditions of the most vulnerable and underprivileged people in the Hill Tracts. This has been achieved in partnership with local, national, and international agencies as well as government institutions.
Kothowain prioritized for focusing on the following areas:
• Human Rights
• Climate Change
• Primary Education and Higher Education
• Health and Sanitation,
• Adolescent and Youth Development, empowerment and Employment
• Advocacy, Linkage and Networking
Vision: Socio economic development, promotion and empowerment among marginalized people in Bangladesh.
Mission: To bring sustainable positive change by reducing poverty among the marginalized people, especially women and children, through participatory process by undertaking needs- and rights-based development programs in the Chittagong Hill Tracts.
• Promotion of community empowerment through ensuring basic wellbeing service and cultural revival for sustainable development project (PROCESS): The project goal is to improved basic wellbeing and secure livelihood of marginalized CHT communities through ensuring quality education, appropriate skills and preserving culture and heritage for self-sustaining community development and human dignity.
• Education for Children: KOTHOWAIN dedicatedly extend the support in collaboration with HOPE´87 Bangladesh funded by UNESCO in order to improve the literacy rate of the target children on providing free primary education facility in the very remote hilly area. The 120 students will get education support till primary completion. The entire villagers will be receiving education awareness sessions and technical support for ensuring sustainable program.
• Sonne Education and Training program in Alikodom: KOTHOWAIN and SONNE International jointly implement the project in Alikodom Upazilla-Bandarban. Total students 554 are receiving education support out of 11 villages which are mostly in remote and backward areas.
• Education Support Program: This education support program is funded by BRAC International and it is located at Alikodom Upazila, Bandarban. There are 11 non formal primary educations schools established in the Bangali Villages and 275 students are getting schooling facilities. The admitted students will be completing Primary Secondary.
• Community empowerment and economic development program: They will be imparted capacity and confidence building support through conducting trainings and sharing. And they will be able to prepare project proposal as per community demands and will be allocated and receiving 3-4 lacs Taka through Bank Account (Bank Account will be opened by them) of each village for their socio-economic development.
Gabriel Tripura is the Executive Director of Kothowain (Vulnerable Peoples Development Organization).
For other net participants we can offer an expert guidance through trained staff, give an expert opinion, procure expert information and establish new contacts in the field of our work.