Hope for Orphans and Rural Development (HORD) - UgandaP.O BOX 280; Plot 1 Nasser street Kasambira town board along kamuli-jinja road
|Phone No.:||+256773973111; +256753508007|
|Contact person:||Simon Nzigu|
- Volunteers are welcome.
- Aid organization
- Educational policy/project
- Social policy/disabled persons
Hope for Orphans and Rural Development (HORD) is a not-for-profit, non-governmental, non-political organization established in 2008.
To empower orphans and vulnerable children and their households by providing the skills and tools they need to become self sustaining.
A community filled with hope where every child has a supportive home and every adult has the skills to better their lives for sustainable development.
What We Do
• Hope for Orphans and Rural Development (HORD) aims to improve the lives of the poor, by focusing programs and services on the most vulnerable groups in rural communities (women, children and people living with HIV/AIDS)
• By providing food, clothing, shelter and medication, HORD helps these at risk people survive. Though HORD seeks more than basic survival, for in rural Uganda "poverty" goes well beyond the lack of money and material objects; poverty is so extreme that even hope is scarce.
• With little education and few vocational skills, the rural poor don´t have the necessary tools to improve the quality of their lives. HORD is dedicated to providing the rural poor with access to education, vocational training, and a variety of income generating projects. Ultimately, HORD provides hope.
• bWe promote and protect the rights of children in all matters and concerns. HORD seeks to implement the most effective means of securing the protection of children´s rights. By coordinating with the government at the district level, we identify and convict child abusers.
• We find supportive homes for orphaned children and regularly visit those homes to ensure that quality care is ongoing.
• We promote HIV/AIDS awareness through information dissemination coupled with community outreach activities in our areas of operation. By organizing a district-wide soccer league, we are now able to distribute condoms to hundreds of young men at their weekly practices, and provide continuous messages regarding HIV/AIDS prevention.
• We promote agriculture through training in modern farming practices, distribution of high quality seeds, anti-mosaic cassava cuttings, and providing hybrid goats, among other activities.
• We provide school scholarships for motivated children. Most of the existing scholarships have been obtained through direct negotiation with schools to "donate" the scholarships.
• We train the village women to use their traditional craft-making skills to produce products which they can sell. (HORD is currently seeking foreign-based volunteers to sell these crafts in their home countries and send back the profits.
Simon Nzigu is the Founder and Project Coordinator of Hope for Orphans and Rural Development (HORD) Uganda.
For other net participants we can offer an expert guidance through trained staff, give an expert opinion, procure expert information and establish new contacts in the field of our work.