Women´s Rights Center (WRC)Spendiaryan str. 3, apt.14,
|Phone No.:||+374 (0)10 53 22 81; +374(0)10 51 87 51|
|Contact person:||Susanna Vardanyan|
- Human rights
- Women's policy
Women's Rights Center (WRC) is a non-governmental, non-profit organization operating in Armenia. It is a voluntary union of people that have joined their efforts for the sake of accomplishing their shared goals to prevent domestic violence against women and their children, as well as to protect women’s sexual and reproductive health and rights.
To see Armenia as a democratic country where women's rights and freedoms are respected as fundamental human rights, women are independent, safe, protected, empowered and free from all kinds of violence.
To support the democratic changes in Armenia through raising women's role in social, economic, cultural and political life, to change the mentality and attitude of the society towards women's problems, to protect women's rights promoting gender equality through Advocacy and Lobbying, Services, Improvement of Legislation, Information Campaigns and Networking.
• To prevent domestic violence against women and their children;
• To protect women's and their children's right to be free from violence;
• To support improvement of mechanisms of prosecution for domestic violence perpetrators and lobby their implementation;
• To protect women’s sexual and reproductive health and rights.
In the area of domestic violence WRC works in 3 directions:
• Raising awareness on the problem through information campaigns, actions, press conferences, round table discussions, TV and radio programs, trainings, including multidisciplinary trainings and training of trainers of WRC, its branches and representatives of other NGOs aiming to prepare professional trainers on the issue, seminars and workshops, meetings, as well as distributing leaflets, posters, brochures, books, shootings and demonstrating films and social advertisements, etc.
• Improving legislation on domestic violence with permanent and continuous advocacy and lobbying for its adoption through the elaboration of the first Draft Law on Domestic Violence (2007-2009) which was not adopted but still served as a base for the next revisions and became one of the main issues for advocacy and lobbying of women's organizations in Armenia.
• Providing services for women victims of domestic violence and their children through operation of the National Hot Line, 6 Crises Centers (one in Yerevan and 5 in the regional centers of Armenia) and Emergency Shelter with Transitional Housing; all services are free of charge and include psychological counseling and legal assistance to women-victims of domestic violence and their children, attorney's support in different courts and social help.
In the area of sexual and reproductive health and rights the activities of WRC are aimed at enlightening problems of sexual and reproductive health and rights (SRHR) through raising awareness and enlargement of induced abortion services which is one of the important steps in improving quality of women’s reproductive health care. Our organization was the first in the country to introduce medical abortion with the use of mifepristone and misoprostol as an alternative way of terminating unwanted pregnancies in close cooperation with RA Ministry of Health, as well as coordinated conduction of randomized controlled studies on the termination of unwanted pregnancies in the 1st and 2nd trimesters and elaboration and publication of the relevant Clinical Guidelines.
For other net participants we can offer an expert guidance through trained staff, give an expert opinion, procure expert information and establish new contacts in the field of our work.