Imithayelanga Youth Development12 Nomtshongwana Crescent Gompo Town
5200 East London, Eastern Cape
|Phone No.:||+27 (0)43 722 5383; +27 (0)82 567 4220|
|Fax No.:||+27 (0)86 514 7307|
|Contact person:||Xola Yoyo|
- Volunteers are welcome.
- Aid organization
- Educational policy/project
- Social policy/disabled persons
Imithayelanga Youth Development is a Non Profit Organisation that strives to improve the lives of young people in the most rural areas of South Africa, particularly the Eastern Cape. The organisation was formed in March 2011, but has been doing work in the field since 2010.
The Vision is to have empowered, future oriented, healthy rural youth.
The Mission is to work with rural youth to break the cycle of poverty through enabling them to make informed decisions about their lives and future and linking youth to educational opportunities.
Imithayelanga Youth Development focuses on training young people in life skills, to assist them to make the correct decisions about their own personal development; as well as when it comes to decisions about their sexuality and engagement in sexual issues. We also focus on the understanding of building good values systems which young people need in order for them to base the decisions they make on these values. We believe a young person with good values will make the correct choices about their lives.
• Life Skills programme: We first focus on personal development. We start by identifying where the individual comes from, their journey to where they are now, this is followed by building their self esteem and the where they would like to be in future. The second tier is focused on the challenges faced by young people, these been Peer Pressure, Teenage Pregnancy, STI and HIV. The third tier is to look at methods of overcoming the challenges and what youth need to do to make a success of their lives. We believe that when young people start making positive choices about their lives, we can start breaking the cycle of OVC´s.
• Peer Educator Programme: The aim of the Peer Educator programme is to transform the lives of OVC so that they will live productive, positive & successful lives, becoming examples to their own and following generations. The programmes are geared to instil values that will inspire young people to live a full and positive life, encouraging them to deal with their problems and make informed decisions about their future.
• Education Programme: The education programme will be two fold, we will focus on a Scholarship Programme and the Tertiary education programme. We will also run a career guidance programme to assist young people to choose the best career field.
Xola Yoyo is the Founder and Director of Imithayelanga Youth Development.
For other net participants we can offer an expert guidance through trained staff, give an expert opinion, procure expert information and establish new contacts in the field of our work.