VbA Selbstbestimmt Leben e.V.Westendstr. 93
|Phone No.:||+49 (0)89 - 54 03 46 80; +49 (0)171 / 4 17 07 65|
|Fax No.:||+49 (0)89 - 54 03 46 85|
|Contact person:||Andreas Vega|
- Volunteers are welcome.
- Aid organization
- Social policy/disabled persons
We are an initiative of people with disabilities. Since 1990 we have represented the interests of those who practice independent living outside of special institutions in the Munich area, or who aspire to do so. Our team advises and helps with the organisation of practical aids, which are necessary for carrying out such a self-determined life.
A basic rule in these initiatives is that the leading positions are exclusively staffed by disabled people. Experience has shown: "Those affected represent themselves best!" Accordingly, our working method is based on the principle of "peer support", which means: to advise sufferers, to accompany and support victims.
Our advisors do not only have to be qualified social workers and/or psychologists. Crucially they have to be disabled themselves. This increases their credibility and means that they can act as role models.
For us, independent living means:
• We decide for ourselves how we want to live and we determine our own daily routine.
• We make the decision about from whom, where, how and if we want to receive help.
• We manage the funding for ourselves.
• We decide what activity (professional or voluntary) we wish to pursue.
• We can move freely in all areas of public and social life and can work on the further development of society together with other people and initiatives.
• Advice: This is based on the principle of peer counselling. Those affected are advised by others similarly affected, based on the philosophy and special techniques of the Autonomous Living Movement.
• Payroll accounting service: We offer technical and practical support to realise the essential building blocks for a self-determined lifestyle for the disabled.
• Assistance Exchange: Nationwide employment agency for personal assistance – whether daily or when travelling.
• Travel service: wheelchair access when travelling by long-distance coach.
And we are committed to:
• the "employer model" as an alternative aid system, with its legal guarantees and nationwide financing.
• more acceptance of the disabled and a positive change in the public image of disablement.
• more involvement in policy-making processes.
• a law for the disabled which entitles them to assistance and a compensation for disadvantages according to their needs
• intensive cooperation with other initiatives that promote decent social conditions.
Andreas Vega is on the Committee of "Living Independently".
On request we can offer other net participants advice, give a presentation, and provide up-to-date information and contacts in the field of our work.