Gramin Vikas Vigyan Samiti (GRAVIS)3/437, 458, M.M. Colony, Pal Road,
342008 Jodhpur, Rajasthan
|Phone No.:||+91 291 2785116; +91 291 2785117|
|Fax No.:||+91 291 2785116|
|Contact person:||Prakash Tyagi|
- Volunteers are welcome.
- Aid organization
- Educational policy/project
- Social policy/disabled persons
Gramin Vikas Vigyan Samiti (GRAVIS) is a non-governmental organisation facilitating rural development in the drought-afflicted Thar desert of North-west India. Since our founding in 1983, we have reached a population of over 1.2 million villagers.
The following are our main objectives:
• Integrated development of humanity without discrimination of caste, religion, or sect. Creation of village institutions ensuring adequate representation of all sections of the community, including women, the elderly and marginalized castes.
• Incorporation of better health behaviours and association of these behaviours with the overall development of rural society; Sustainable development of natural resources to increase productivity and income.
• Conservation and development of village commons.
• Improvement of education, with particular emphasis on educating girls.
• Promotion of financial savings at the individual, group, and community levels in order to increase familiarity with the economic system and to reduce dependence on outside capital.
• Empowerment of village communities, with emphasis on the poorer and weaker sections of society, in order to reduce economic and social disparity and to create a self-reliant and decentralized community system; Coordination of training programmes to teach youth, women, and field workers how to implement strategies of integrated development within their own communities.
• Generation of awareness among rural communities, particularly the poor, so that underprivileged groups can benefit from development schemes.
• Provision of humanitarian relief during calamities and other emergencies.
• Organization of campaigns and people´s movements on social issues, in accordance with Gandhian ethics.
• Cooperation with partner organizations sharing similar objectives, both outside and inside of Rajasthan.
• Water Security: With modern techniques draining aquifers, GRAVIS has set out to promote more traditional methods of water security including taankas, naadis, and beris.
• Education: Primary Schools - GRAVIS currently runs 49 primary schools in the Thar Desert; Outreach Programs - GRAVIS runs a number of outreach programs for students and parents; Bicycle Scholarships - As a part of our partnership in the Revive! Project GRAVIS donates bicycles to students who wish to attend secondary school. This project focuses on female students; Expansion of the Dr. John B. Elstrott Elementary School
• Health: healthcare has been one of GRAVIS’ main concerns as we endeavour to improve the lives of those living in the Thar. GRAVIS Hospital; Eye Care Unit; Crèches; Medical Camps; Tuberculosis Programme and more.
• Agriculture & Animal Husbandry: GRAVIS has a number of strategies to help combat food insecurity and malnourishment: Khadins; Horticulture Units; Seed Banks; Orans; Agroforestry; Veterinary Care; Distribution of milk-cows; Fodder and Cattle Feed
• Research and Advocacy: We work with villagers to inform them of their rights and to give them skills in a variety of areas ranging from farming to healthcare. We also conduct independent research and publish our findings on water and agricultural technologies.
• Community Development: We have helped to organize a variety of community organizations and self help groups where villagers can come together to discuss and plan projects on a number of topics.
Prakash Tyagi is the Executive Director of (Gramin Vikas Vigyan Samiti) GRAVIS.
For other net participants we can offer an expert guidance through trained staff, give an expert opinion, procure expert information and establish new contacts in the field of our work.