INEPAS (Institute of Spanish Language and Social Aid Programs)15ª Av. 4-59 Zona 1
|Phone No.:||+502 77 65 13 08; +502 55 67 38 57|
|Contact person:||María Antonieta Ixcoteyac Velásquez|
- Volunteers are welcome.
- Aid organization
- Educational policy/project
- Social policy/disabled persons
INEPAS (Institute of Spanish Language and Social Aid Programs) was founded in Quetzaltenango, Guatemala in 1994 as a self-sustaining non-profit organization. INEPAS is both a Spanish School and a Social Aid Institution.
The social projects carried out by INEPAS are funded entirely from the income provided by its language school, and in this way the organization remains completely self-sustaining.
In this context, INEPAS is therefore made up of two departments, each with their own objective:
• The Spanish Language Department: The goal of our Spanish School is not only to teach students Spanish, but we would also like to introduce them to the history and culture of Guatemala. The profits, generated from our Spanish School are used to secure the sustainability of our Social Aid Programs, and we hope the knowledge gained by our students will be communicated with their friends and their families when they are back home in their communities.
• The Social Aid Department: The goal of our Social Aid Program is to develop and sustain the support of our various educational and capacity-building programs, all dedicated to supporting the disadvantaged young people and families in the Quetzaltenango region.
Today, the Social Aid Department is made up of three social aid programs:
The Education Support Program: To give educational support to children, teenagers and adults who are either having problems learning in school or have no access to education whatsoever.
• The scholarship project
• The Computer Laboratory Project
The Social and Legal Support Program:
• Types of social support provided include: identification and recognition of family problems, home visits, individual meetings, community meetings and reconciliatory meetings. Advice workshops have also been given with the aim of promoting women´s rights, basic individual rights and advising on protection against domestic violence. In cases which involve individuals or families in extreme poverty, INEPAS tries to support them in any way it can, by applying for or acquiring aid from public institutions, financing medical costs or consultations at a reduced fee, or by donating basic necessities.
• Advises people in need of legal assistance on how to exercise and defend their rights effectively and fulfill their legal obligations. The cases most frequently dealt with concern domestic violence, often involving people who only speak Quiche (a native Mayan language). INEPAS is able to advise and accompany these people, to ensure they are treated fairly and obtain a proper hearing in a court of law if necessary.
The Nursery Support Program: To support the improvement of conditions in the Community Nurseries.
• The professional advice of psychologists, social workers, doctors, education experts and solicitors
• Essential teaching and medical materials
• Volunteers to work in the Nurseries, for example as teachers, social workers or doctors
• INEPAS also arranges meetings and workshops for the parents of the children on the responsibilities of parenthood, covering issues such as good behavior and the importance of hygiene.
María Antonieta Ixcoteyac Velásquez is the General Coordinator of INEPAS.
For other net participants we can offer an expert guidance through trained staff, give an expert opinion, procure expert information and establish new contacts in the field of our work.