Zukunft für KinderWallweg 5
36145 Hofbieber / Elters
|Phone No.:||+49 (0) 66 57-6 00 86|
|Fax No.:||+49 ( 0)66 57-91 91 99|
|Contact person:||Gabi Herr|
- Volunteers are welcome.
- Educational policy/project
- Aid for developing countries
- Aid organization
SEARA "A Future for Children" was founded by seven dedicated people on the initiative of Rainer Neubauer and Ferdinand Herr.
The purpose of the Association is to improve the living conditions, especially the nutrition and education, of children in the slums of the city of Santarém, Pará, Brazil, as well as in the surrounding rural area. This is done by the material and moral support for the work of the SEARA (Sociedade de Estudos e dos Recursos Aproveitamento as Amazonia1) and its facilities for small children.
The following measures undertaken by SEARA are supported by our association:
• Seeking out acutely malnourished children aged one to five years and giving them medical assistance in two daycare centres in the city of Santarém
• educational support of the children cared for
• education and counselling of the children's parents, in matters of domestic nutrition, hygiene and upbringing
• public relations work in urban slums and rural villages to spread knowledge of healthy eating
• promotion of the educational and home economics skills of individual female teenagers, by their care and employment as unskilled workers in the facilities.
SEARA "A Future for Children" supports this work in the form of both continuous and one-off monetary and material donations. It also contributes through public relations work in Germany, in order to increase the awareness of the local population of the problems – in particular those of the children in Brazil and developing countries as a whole.
SEARA "A Future for Children" finances the maintenance costs of the João de Barro Daycare Centre as well as the personnel costs for other Brazilian employees of the family centre. To finance the Family Centre and the construction and other projects, the society contacts public funding agencies as well as companies that want to be involved in communities in the Amazon region. Thus it is possible to continuously expand the SEARA facility in Santarém, to reach more families and to offer them a perspective for the future.
• Networking. However, is also important for us to teach children and young people here in Germany, because we are convinced that we will only achieve justice in the world if we in the "rich" countries change our awareness and our actions. Therefore, we work closely with schools, kindergartens and parishes and operate our own one-world groups.
• Weltwärts: As part of the Weltwärts program, each year SEARA offers three young people the opportunity to spend a year learning a new language and culture and helping SEARA in Brazil.
Ferdinand Herr is the president of SEARA "A Future for Children".
On request we can offer other net participants advice, give a presentation, and provide up-to-date information and contacts in the field of our work.