Lion Mukhlesur Rahman Foundation (LMRF)Chittagong Lions Foundation Complex, Zakir Hossain Road, East Nasirabad,
Chittagong – 4225
|Phone No.:||+880 1833 149 001; +880 1817 660 693|
|Contact person:||Dr. Shamim Khan|
- Volunteers are welcome.
- Social policy/disabled persons
- Aid organization
There are millions of children in Bangladesh who are suffering from medical problems that can be solved through timely effective and inexpensive treatment or surgeries. The only reason these children haven’t received them is because they are poor. Lion Mukhlesur Rahman Foundation (LMRF) was established to provide free treatment for these needy children.
• 4000+ children born with cleft lip and palate each year need timely corrective surgery.
• 5000+ children born with clubfoot each year need effective Ponseti treatment from day 7.
• 60000+ children suffering post burn disability each year are waiting for surgery.
LMRF is a Chittagong based children’s charity organization (NGO Reg. No. 2653), working with utmost desperation to bring back smile to ill-fated poor children born with Clubfoot and Cleft lip / Palate deformity since 2001. We envision a society where children with inborn or acquired disability are detected early and subsequently cured and rehabilitated so that they can live a full, productive life.
1. Leave no clubfoot born children untreated below 5 years of age.
2. Early detection and surgery to all children born with facial cleft defects.
3. Provide Corrective surgery to all post burn deformed patients followed by rehabilitation.
LMRF has opened a new era of full free health service through her following pride projects to bring miracle to the lives of these unfortunate children of Bangladesh.
1. Cure Cleft:
Clefts are a major problem in developing countries like Bangladesh where every year 4000 babies (according to statistics 1 out of 700 live births) are born with this deformity and most of them remain neglected due to poverty, lack of social awareness and adequate surgical facility. They cannot eat or speak properly with the unrepaired cleft. Aren't allowed to attend school or hold a job and face very difficult lives filled with shame and isolation, pain and heartache.
That’s why CureCleft project of LMRF (formerly known as Lion Mukhlesur Rahman Plastic Surgery Project”) working restless to reverse their doomed life with a simple surgery that takes as little as 45 minutes. So far, with help of our dedicated partners especially Smile Train, our skilled Plastic Surgeons brought smile to 4200+ cleft patients. We believe every child born with a cleft has the opportunity to live a full, productive life and our endeavor will continue until we could build a solid platform of care for these needy children.
2. Zero Clubfoot:
Clubfoot is an overwhelming and highly visible physical disability affecting 1-2 per 1000 live births every year worldwide. Projected 5000 children are born with this crippling condition every year in Bangladesh. Only a small fraction of these children get corrective Ponseti management or orthopedic surgery in their lifetime. Left neglected, clubfoot may lead them to lifelong disability, potential unproductivity and eventually significant poverty.
Since inception on 2010, Zero Clubfoot project of LMRF has been playing a very crucial role in setting up a system of early detection and treatment of Clubfoot in Chittagong Division. We are providing world famous Ponseti treatment for newborn clubfoot babies, which brought fantastic results in last 3 years of service. We also perform surgery for those who are neglected and not responding to serial casts. By the skilled hands of our devoted Surgeons and Physiotherapists, more than thousand children relieved from this curse so far. Whatever the nature of service, we provide it at absolute free of cost, even the foot abduction brace (FAB) during follow-up. “Walking Clubfoot No More!” is our motto and our journey will continue as long as we see no child walking with this crippling deformity.
Awareness buildup program:
1. We provide training to Govt. health workers specially vaccination & family planning staffs on detection of facial clefts, clubfoot and where to refer.
2. Meet with Govt. doctors and local NGOs to aware about clefts & clubfoot and the treatment we are providing. We also arrange Parent group session to build up social and moral consciousness among the parents benefited by our service.
3. Publicity and awareness building by regular poster sticking, awareness leaflet, brochure distribution, newsletter printing and distribution.
Achievements to date:
1. CureCleft project brought smile to 4200+ cleft children through free corrective surgery.
2. ZCF touched a remarkable milestone of 2500 clubfeet under correction with in her 3 years of journey and among them 1800+ now walking normally.
3. Coverage of treatment within 1 year of age clubfoot baby is 49.11
Dr. Shamim Khan is the Executive Director of the Lion Mukhlesur Rahman Foundation (LMRF)
For other net participants we can offer an expert guidance through trained staff, give an expert opinion, procure expert information and establish new contacts in the field of our work.