Fernan-Vaz Gorilla Project (PGFV)
Association Projet Gorille Fernan-Vaz (PGFV)B.P. 2950
|Phone No.:||+241 (0)7 72 54 26|
|Contact person:||Nicholas Bachand|
- Volunteers are welcome.
- Environmental organization
- Environmental project
- Educational policy/project
The Projet Gorille Fernan-Vaz (PGFV) is a non-governmental association based in the Fernan-Vaz lagoon just north of Loango national park in Gabon. This project was initiated in the year 2001 when a family of orphaned gorillas was transferred from the Centre International de Recherches Médicales de Franceville (CIRMF) to the island of Evengué-Ezango in the Fernan-Vaz lagoon.
The survival of Gabon´s wild great-ape populations through:
• The rescue and care of orphaned western lowland gorillas;
• Environmental awareness campaigns and educational tourist visits;
• Sustainable development and community outreach;
• Conservation-minded research;
• Advocacy and law enforcement
• Rescue orphaned gorillas victims of the bush meat trade;
• Contribute to protecting wild gorilla populations;
• Promote global awareness on the plight of great apes.
• The PGFV Rehabilitation Centre was initiated in late 2006 and consists of a quarantine facility on the island of Evengue-Ezango and of Oriquet island.
• Conservation Education: An essential component of the PGFV´s overall mission is to promote the conservation of great apes through outreach and education programs for national and international visitors, and the local community.
• Tourism: One of the Projet Gorille Fernan-Vaz´s objectives is to raise awareness on the plight of great apes at the local, national and international levels. Only through education can relevant action be taken to protect wild great ape populations and to promote the sustainable management of tropical forest ecosystems. Responsible and low-impact tourism provides an opportunity for an educational, yet enjoyable, experience. As victims of the bushmeat trade, gorillas at the PGFV Sanctuary act as important ambassadors for great ape conservation in Africa.
For other net participants we can offer an expert guidance through trained staff, give an expert opinion, procure expert information and establish new contacts in the field of our work.