Die Sonnenblume - Förderverein zur Hilfe äthiopischer Kinder e.V.Gleueler Str. 167
- Nous acceuillons les bénévoles à bras ouverts.
- Organisation d'aide
- Communauté, projet communal
- Politique + projet d'éducation
Everyone knows, more or less, about the poverty in Ethiopia. Instead of leaving the work to the large organisations, in December 2007 Erdaw Miko, with the support of friends, started up an aid project to give children a chance of education. This led to the founding of an association “The Sunflower”.
The aim is to improve the education situation in the Ethiopian village of Menjikso Tade. Erdaw was born and grew up in Ethiopia and he spends his annual holidays in his home village, where he organises and helps with the project. So far, we have been able to replenish funds from our savings. The advantage is that Erdaw speaks the language and is held in high esteem by the villagers. This makes the work on the spot far easier. Unfortunately the people there are really very very poor. Most of them live off the land. Of course, the present lack of running water in the village adds to the difficulties. Unfortunately, old traditions such as female circumcision also still play a role. These terrible circumstances can only be eliminated by appropriate education.
Thus the most important of our tasks is to support and strengthen the people on the spot. Young people should have sufficient education and training to enable them later to support the building up of their country and to put their knowledge to use where it is needed.
• Building a new school; building a children's library. An old dilapidated building has been turned into three buildings: two of them each house four classrooms, the other is now a furnished library, complete with books.
• At first we concentrated only on schooling for the children. Our remit has now been extended to literacy courses for adults. This was made possible by the solar project, providing light in the evenings.
• A transit van for the medical station in Chaffe Dunsa
• The water project
• Activities in Germany: donations, charity runs, school children's activities, club activities, vintage car rallies, kindergarten Africa theme week with sale of cakes, charity concerts, choir concerts, solidarity by dance displays, Ethiopian coffee ceremonies (and sales) Christmas bazaar with a wide range of goods, exhibition of pictures, juggling in Africa and much much more.
Monika Zimmermann is on the committee of Sunflower – Friends' Association to aid Ethiopian Children.
On request we can offer other net participants advice, give a presentation, and provide up-to-date information and contacts in the field of our work.