Etafeni Day Care Centre TrustSihume Road, Nyanga
7750 Cape Town
Afrique du Sud
|Telefon:||+27 (0)21 386 1516; +27 (0)82 890 2555|
|Telefax:||+27 (0)21 386 2560|
- Nous acceuillons les bénévoles à bras ouverts.
- Organisation d'aide
- Politique + projet d'éducation
- Politique sociale/hommes handicapés
A small grassroots community-based organisation, the Etafeni Playgroup Project, formed the Etafeni Trust together with LifeLine/Childline Western Cape in 2001 when it became apparent that children in the Nyanga community were losing their parents to AIDS-related illnesses. Almost 30% of the local population in Nyanga is infected with the HI Virus.
The aim of the Trust is to build capacity in the local community in Nyanga – as well as operating a multi-purpose day care centre to sustain and support the community in their holistic care for children affected by AIDS.
The Etafeni Day Care Centre is a multi-purpose centre for children affected by AIDS and their caregivers in Nyanga, Cape Town, South Africa.
The Centre is a base to support the caregivers of children who have been affected by AIDS so that the children are able to stay in their homes, at their schools and in their familiar community during their parents´ illness and, if the worst happens, after their parents´ death. The local community around the centre has been trained in HIV/AIDS information and awareness, many of the Etafeni Playgroup Project members have been through the LifeLine and Childline counselor training.
The Centre offers a spectrum of services:
• a preschool,
• a vegetable garden (for producing food for the centre but also to train community members in food gardening),
• a nutrition programme,
• an AIDS Counselor programme,
• income-generating activities (beadwork and sewing),
• supervised homework and afterschool care,
• the ´Fit for Life, Fit for Work´ programme for unemployed school leavers,
• a mobile VCT and TB-screening programme,
• a playground,
• counseling and training facilities,
• space for rest and quiet.
Barbara Miller is the Development Manager of the Etafeni Day Care Centre Trust.
For other net participants we can offer an expert guidance through trained staff, give an expert opinion, procure expert information and establish new contacts in the field of our work.