Free State Residential Care Centre / Vrystaat NasorgsentrumPO Box 128, Bloemendal Road, Rayton
|Phone No.:||+27 51 4366034/5|
|Fax No.:||+27 51 4366313|
|Contact person:||Stefan Vosser|
- Aid organization
- Educational policy/project
- Social policy/disabled persons
Free State Residential Care Centre / Vrystaat Nasorgsentrum was founded in 1981 by a group of parents who wanted to address the needs of their disabled children after leaving school at the age of 18.
Our vision is a safe and well-kept environment that assist the mentally challenged adult to develop in a humane way which will enable him / her to make a meaningful contribution to society.
• To promote the social image of the mentally challenged adult as well as their personal independence.
• To improve the quality of life of every individual in the Centre.
• The provision of residential facilities to 156 men and woman: They reside in three hostels under the care of 5 housemothers (caregivers) who are responsible for their psychological and physical welfare. The residential programme also includes the provision of 3 daily meals, a laundry service, a clinic service and daily transport to medical services and for personal purposes.
• The provision of protective workshops: The 156 residents and 38 day workers work in one of the workshops. Each is occupied in a craft according to his / her abilities and skills. This training, placement and production are done by an occupational therapist. Work is seen as therapy and great care is taken to train the disabled to his / her maximum potential and to place them in the correct workshop. They take great pride in their products and abilities. There are 5 workshops in production: Bakery, woodwork / toys, textile, pottery and printing. The products manufactured are sold. Much detail is given to the quality and marketing of products. The daily services of an occupational therapist is available.
• Administrative services: Provided by a director, deputy director and 3 administrative staff. This also includes the financial management of each individual.
• Recreation: They participate in an annual Inter-Centre athletics championship. We organise recreational evenings on a regular basis.
• Transport: Daily transport of day workers and transport to other medical services.
• Centre Choir: Trained by a volunteer and perform on invitation. A CD of their music is available.
• Exhibitions and Open Days: Members of the public can visit the Centre during office hours and buy products. Exhibitions in Bloemfontein and rural areas are well supported. The Autumn-, Spring-, and Christmas Markets are huge fundraising events.
• Training of Students:Free State University students in Occupational Therapy do part of their training at the Centre. Student nurses from Medi Clinic do part of their practical training at the Centre.
• Contract Work: We do various contract work for businesses (Packing, sorting, etc.)
• Networking: We network with other welfare organisations .
Stefan Vosser is the Director of the Free State Residential Care Centre / Vrystaat Nasorgsentrum.
For other net participants we can offer an expert guidance through trained staff, give an expert opinion, procure expert information and establish new contacts in the field of our work.
We need guidance to grant makers interested in giving financial support.