global collaboration to catalyze local solutions1793 Northwood Ct
Oakland, CA 94611
|Phone No.:||+1 (415) 967-1711|
|Contact person:||Melanie St. James|
- Volunteers are welcome.
- Aid organization
- Educational policy/project
- Social policy/disabled persons
Founded in 2001, Empowerment Works! (EW) is the brainchild of its Executive Director who recognized a common strategy for harnessing local assets to meet local needs in two unique world regions of Africa facing very different challenges: Senegal - facing threats of food security, conflict and desertification; and Zimbabwe - facing the spread of AIDS and economic collapse. Empowerment WORKS (EW) is a global sustainability think-tank in action advancing whole-system, locally-led solutions for a thriving world.
Working globally from the ground up, EW brings these tools within the grasp of citizens, businesses & organizations on the front lines of poverty, climate change and conflict. Guided by EW's flagship 7 Stages to Sustainability (7SS: Engage – Assess – Plan – Learn – Build – Expand – Sustain) collaboration framework, local partners utilize local human and environmental resources as building blocks for a sustainable future.
What We Do
Providing access to markets, appropriate technologies and the skills communities need to catalyze sustainable social change, Empowerment WORKS unites local communities with global partners through scalable tools for collaboration, education and innovation.
Collaboration: Civic Engagement through World Changing Events - From think-tanks & press conferences to concerts & festivals, EW events cultivate & exchange leading edge solutions. EW flagship event series include:
• Artists in Action events celebrate, demonstrate and co-create an inspired future
• The Global Summit biennial (London 2012) fosters unity through diversity
• African Local Summit harnesses local solutions for a sustainable world
Education: Community Development Outreach & Capacity Building - Empowering and uniting social entrepreneurs with the tools they need to lead:
• EW provides fiscal sponsorship services to projects advancing our 501c3 mission
• Collaboration WORKShops strengthen capacity of all participants to co-create, uniting the gifts, resources and solutions from all sectors
• EW works with grass-roots facilitators who co-develop localized 7SS education programs
Innovation: Setting New Standards for Change - From EW´s first innovation, 7 Stages to Sustainability (7SS) springs a social business ecosystem:
• EW created a multi-sector framework called Partners In Empowerment (PIE) and brought it to life with The Global Summit.
• Using 7SS to overcome social collaboration boundaries, EW created 1PIE.org technology for geographic ones
• EW´s Beyond Fair Trade™ standard gives 5% of sales to local projects, where products are made.
Melanie St.James is the Executive Director & Global Programs Director (USA) of Empowerment WORKS (EW).
For other net participants we can offer an expert guidance through trained staff, give an expert opinion, procure expert information and establish new contacts in the field of our work.