Grevy´s Zebra Trust (GZT)PO Box 15351-00509
- Nous acceuillons les bénévoles à bras ouverts.
- Organisation de l'environnement
- Projet d'environnement
- Politique + projet d'éducation
The Grevy´s Zebra Trust (GZT) was established in January 2007 to address the urgent need to conserve Grevy´s zebra (Equus grevyi) in the community rangelands of Ethiopia and Kenya. It is an independent wildlife conservation Trust registered in Kenya.
We focus on: employment of communities to protect and monitor the species; support of education for pastoral children; awareness campaigns; partnering on research projects that link directly to management; and rangeland rehabilitation through planned livestock grazing. In order to maximise the success of its programmes, coordination and close collaboration with partner organisations working in Grevy´s zebra conservation is a priority of the Trust.
• Grevy´s Zebra Scouts: The Grevy´s Zebra Trust engages communities through its Grevy´s Zebra Scout Program which has been operating in northern Kenya since 2003, in partnership with Princeton University and the Saint Louis Zoo. Twenty women and men from seven different pastoral communities are employed on a part-time basis by the Program to monitor Grevy´s zebra and at the same time foster positive attitudes towards the species. Data Collection and Information Dissemination are the main activities of the scouts.
• Grevy´s Zebra Ambassadors: In areas where Grevy´s zebra populations are rapidly declining, the Trust is developing its Grevy´s Zebra Ambassador Program. The Grevy´s Zebra Ambassadors are trained in security and surveillance operations. Grevy´s Zebra Ambassadors facilitate regular informal meetings with community members.
• Education and Awareness: Stripe’s Story was developed as an educational awareness tool used in primary sc´ools. Workshops; Bursaries: The Grevy´s Zebra Trust awards secondary school bursaries (scholarships) to promising students from communities that host Grevy´s zebra populations. Conservation Theatre
• Regional Collaboration with Ethiopia
Belinda Mackey is the Executive Director of Grevy´s Zebra Trust.
For other net participants we can offer an expert guidance through trained staff, give an expert opinion, procure expert information and establish new contacts in the field of our work.