Verein zur Förderung des ersten behinderten- und rollstuhlfahrergerechten Großsegelschiffes in Deutschland e.V.Ueckermünder Str. 51
|Phone No.:||+49 (0)3 97 71- 227 25|
|Fax No.:||+49 (0)3 97 71- 220 25|
|Contact person:||Horst Gollatz|
- Commune, community project
- Social policy/disabled persons
- Antiracism, policy of integration
The Society for the Advancement of the First Wheelchair Accessible Sailing Ship in Germany ("Verein zur Förderung des ersten behinderten- und rollstuhlfahrergerechten Großsegelschiffes in Deutschland") was founded in 2001.
On completion of the ship, the society now has further objectives. A wheelchair accessible sailing ship gives both disabled and able-bodied people the chance to improve their individual skills. These include the various qualification opportunities on board, be they practical, such as seamanship, technical, eg handling the instruments on board, or theoretical, in areas like navigation or meteorology.
Alongside this come teamwork, character development and integration within the close confines of the ship. At the same time, those with additional impairments are enabled to live their lives according to their own yardstick.
• The aim of the society is the integration and advancement of (primarily young) disabled people, by the planning, organisation and implementation of sporting opportunities on the water. The society follows the Code of Social Law (ninth book – the rehabilitation and participation of the disabled).
• To this end, the society has built and operates a sailing ship which can be manned by disabled people, wheelchair users in particular. Should the occasion arise, this objective can be fulfilled by participating in undertakings of another non-profit making organisation in compliance with point 1.
• The society works closely with the Society for the Encouragement of Physical Exercise and Sport for Youth ("Verein zur Förderung bewegungs- und sportorientierter Jugendsozialarbeit e. V.") in Marburg.
• The society endeavours to further international understanding by working together with Poland and other countries bordering on the Baltic Sea.
• The integration of the disabled and the able-bodied is an additional overriding aim.
Horst Gollatz is the President of the Society for the Advancement of the First Wheelchair Accessible Sailing Ship in Germany.
On request, we can offer other net participants advice, give a presentation and provide up to date information and contacts in the field of our work.