Rainbow over Ghana e.V. (RoG)Postfach 401532
|Phone No.:||+49 (0) 89 41602780|
|Contact person:||Steffen Mayer|
- Volunteers are welcome.
- Aid for developing countries
- Educational policy/project
- Social policy/disabled persons
It was on Steffen Mayer’s initiative that the organisation “Rainbow over Ghana (RoG)” was founded. It supports the rural region round Lake Bosumtwi in Ghana, and facilitates exchanges with the German state school Werner-von-Siemens-Realschule (WSR).
The organisation has direct contact to Ghana through Mayer. He lived there in 2001 and in the following year arranged school practices there for German student teachers. Such students are still relieving the shortage of teachers in rural schools as well as passing on modern teaching methods to the local Ghanaian teachers. The Rainbow Garden Village Guesthouse (RGV), for student teachers, was opened in February 2005, in order to house student teachers centrally, and also to provide classrooms for children who can not afford state school fees.
Our mission is to improve the current unsatisfactory education situation by enabling children from this region to have access to free schooling.
• Consequently, the building and maintenance of a school and training centre, in cooperation with the Ghanaian Education Authorities, is the main project of the RoG.
• Beyond that, a small attached orphanage will care for street children from Kumasi, the second largest city in Ghana, to save them from a life of poverty and hopelessness.
• But there are also infrastructure projects such as an environmentally-friendly sewage and waste disposal system.
• The school centre is also to provide adult education; teaching good sanitation, solar technology and affordable waste disposal, thus enabling sustainable improvements in living standards for this and the following generations.
• Rainbow School: the construction and maintenace of our school by Lake Bosumtwi is at the heart of our organisation. The capacity of the school is currently limited to 180 children of primary school age. The project is supported by local authorities as well as the German teachers. A small orphanage is going to be annexed to it.
• Rainbow Medical Care: with your support we offer children from the Lake Bosumtwi area emergency first aid, transport to hospital as well as long-term treatment for serious health problems.
Steffen Mayer is the President of Rainbow over Ghana (RoG).
On request we can offer other net participants advice, give a presentation and provide up to date information and contacts in the field of our work.