Environmental Defence Society (EDS)PO Box 91736, Victoria Street West
|Phone No.:||+64 9 480 2565|
|Fax No.:||+64 9 480 2564|
|Contact person:||Fiona Driver|
- Volunteers are welcome.
- Environmental organization
- Educational policy/project
The Environmental Defence Society is a not-for-profit environmental organisation comprised of resource management professionals who are committed to improving environmental outcomes within New Zealand.
EDS was established in 1971 by a group of law students and scientists. The idea behind EDS was to bring together the disciplines of science, law and planning to advocate for the environment. Since its inception, EDS has had a long and largely successful history of litigating environmentally significant cases.
More recently EDS has become increasingly involved in providing support and capacity building for individuals, community organisations and councils; in undertaking research and policy analysis on key environmental issues; and in profiling key issues through seminars and conferences.
In its research and policy work EDS seeks to build constructive partnerships and relationships with business, government and other groups across civil society.
EDS adds value to environmental management by:
• Providing professional advice to iwi, community groups and individuals seeking to participate in resource management issues
• Sharply focusing our efforts on a small number of key environmental issues
• Bringing a well-researched, thoughtful and professional perspective to the issues
• Thinking creatively and developing innovative and practical ways to address environmental problems
• Publishing think-pieces aimed at highlighting environmental problems and offering constructive and realistic solutions
• Partnering with other organizations committed to environmental sustainability to jointly focus on resolving key issues
• Acting as guardians of fair and effective processes
In order to maximize impact, EDS focuses its efforts on a small number of key but rather large environmental issues at any one time. The three areas of current focus are:
• Conservation of New Zealand´s outstanding landscapes, particularly those along the coast and lakesides
• Protection and sustainable management of our lakes, coastal waters and oceans
• Reducing the emission of greenhouse gases and responding to the impacts of climate change
• Building capacity
• Providing advice
• Undertaking research and policy analysis
• Profiling environmental issues
• Building partnerships
Fiona Driver is the General Manager of the Environmental Defence Society.
For other net participants we can offer an expert guidance through trained staff, give an expert opinion, procure expert information and establish new contacts in the field of our work.