Namib Desert Environmental Education Trust (NADEET)
Protecting Namibia`s environment by educating people to live a sustainable lifestyleP.O. Box 31017, Pioniers Park
- Nous acceuillons les bénévoles à bras ouverts.
- Organisation de l'environnement
- Politique + projet d'éducation
- Organisation d'aide
The Namib Desert Environmental Education Trust (NaDEET) is a non-profit, Namibian trust established in 2003. It is located 100 km south of Sesriem/Sossusvlei on the NamibRand Nature Reserve. NaDEET believes environmental education must not only increase awareness and knowledge but also eco-friendly attitudes and skills in Namibia`s youth and educators to promote participation.
To provide environmental education for Namibians, regardless of income, by:
• addressing relevant environmental issues through hands-on, experiential learning.
• supporting the Namibian school curricula in a practical, learner-centred way.
• providing the opportunity of experiencing the county`s namesake - the Namib Desert - first hand, thus creating a sense of respect and responsibility for their natural environment.
• Environmental Education at NaDEET Centre
Located in a dune valley on the Namib Rand Nature Reserve, NaDEET Centre was developed with an innovative design and alternative technology (eg solar ovens, bucket showers). In this way, the Centre is both a model and experience in sustainable living. We offer three to five day hands-on, experiential, environmental education programmes for Namibians. Most of our programmes are attended by primary school children. However we also offer courses to secondary schools, out-of-school youth, educators and community members.
• Environmental Literacy Projects
The main NaDEET literacy project is a youth magazine available at no cost to all learners, educators and interested citizens in Namibia, called the Bush Telegraph. Approximately 15,000 learners and educators are currently subscribed. It aims to increase knowledge of and improve attitudes towards our environment through reading. This project is complemented by our new "It`s Time to ..." activity book and guide book series.
• Student Internships
Since 2004, we have been hosting nature conservation students from the Polytechnic of Namibia for a period of four to six months for practical, hands-on experience in outdoor teaching, programme planning, Centre logistics and activity development. This programme has been very successful in improving local capacity to teach environmental education. Several of our past interns are now working for the Namibian Ministry of Environment and Tourism in the environmental education department.
• School Programme: In the magical setting of the Namib Desert, we offer a variety of school programmes that teach participants about sustainable living, biodiversity and the balance between humans and the environment. The programmes are tailored to specific age and interest groups and are based on the Namibian school curriculum. Activities revolve around the key concepts of energy, water, waste and biodiversity.
• Community Programme: Mitigating Climate Change in Local Communities through Sustainable Living Education and Practices
Viktoria Keding is the director and co-founder of the Namib Desert Environmental Education Trust (NaDEET).
For other net participants we can offer an expert guidance through trained staff, give an expert opinion, procure expert information and establish new contacts in the field of our work.