Mobilising kids with bikes
Afrique du Sud
|Telefon:||+27 83 326 0997|
- Nous acceuillons les bénévoles à bras ouverts.
- Organisation d'aide
- Politique + projet d'éducation
- Politique sociale/hommes handicapés
Qhubeka, a Zulu word, which means `to move forward`, is a Corporate Social Investment project which aims to help rural communities advance their lives by providing bicycles to children in return for work done to improve their environment and communities.
Qhubeka is a non for profit volunteer organisation and established in 2004 as a "Association not for Gain".
Qhubeka`s aim is to provide children in rural areas with reliable, affordable bicycles appropriate to conditions in their regions to enable them to get to schools faster with less effort and so be better able to absorb lessons that will ultimately help them progress in their quest for learning.
Qhubeka`s objectives are to design and support initiatives that advance socio-economic development in the poorest communities, thereby moving the region forward to greater social equity.
Qhubeka supports Children`s Projects where children earn bikes as a reward for work done in the areas:
• Enterprise development
• Environment restoration
• Access to Education
• Sport development
Children that grow trees to earn bikes are called "Tree-preneurs", children that recycle and trade recyclables for bikes are called "Waste-preneurs". For 100 trees a Tree-preneur earns a bike and for 1,500kg’s of recyclables a Waste-preneur earns a bike.
Qhubeka Adult Projects aim to give people access to better lifestyle and healthcare through a focus on:
• Skills transfer: young adults are given bike mechanic training (both assembly and maintenance)
• Micro-finance: Qhubeka assists people in building spare parts supply and bike transporter businesses
• Health care workers: Qhubeka gives bikes to healthcare workers who work with Orphans & Vulnerable children (OVC), as well as home-based patient care
Anthony Fitzhenry is the Director of Qhubeka.
For other net participants we can offer an expert guidance through trained staff, give an expert opinion, procure expert information and establish new contacts in the field of our work.