Sea Shepherd Deutschland e.V.Reeder-Bischoff-Strasse 18
|Phone No.:||+49 (0)421 16988715|
|Contact person:||Manuel Abraas|
- Volunteers are welcome.
- Environmental organization
- Educational policy/project
- Media project
The non-profit organisation Sea Shepherd Germany was founded in April 2010.
The aim of the organisation is to promote active environment protection, with the accent on the sea and ocean habitat. Our work includes information events and raising money through donations for the worldwide campaign of the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society, whose headquarters are in Friday Harbor, Washington, USA.
The Sea Shepherd Conservation Society (SSCS), founded in 1977, is an international non-profit organisation for the protection of maritime animals. Our mission: to end the destruction of the ocean habitat and the slaughter of the animals there, to protect and maintain the maritime ecosystems and species.
Sea Shepherd uses innovative methods to investigate, document, and, if necessary, to intervene against illegal activities on the high seas. By protecting the biodiversity of the oceans, Sea Shepherd hopes to ensure the survival of our delicately balanced ocean ecosystem for future generations.
• The TV documentary Whale Wars brought Sea Shepherd into the public eye in Germany, and the spectacular actions during the campaigns increased media interest.
• In its first year, the organisation was present at various concerts and events, with an information stall. At the Veggie Street Days in Dortmund and Stuttgart, it was very successful in recruiting enthusiasts for active ocean protection and the work of Sea Shepherd.
• The sale of T-shirts and small articles on the info stands helped to finance the supplies for the sea crews and the maintenance of the Sea Shepherd ships.
Sea Shepherd Campaigns
• Dolphins: Operation Grind Stop – to end the slaughter of pilot whales round the Faroe Islands; to end the absurd carnage of dolphins in Taiji, Japan
• Galapagos: Sea Shepherd works in cooperation with the National Marine Park Service on the Galapagos Islands to combat poaching and on the environment protection programme.
• Seals: Sea Shepherd has been fighting against seal hunters since 1975 and in the course of a quarter of a century we have saved the lives of hundreds of thousands of seals,
• Sharks: Sea Shepherd is working hard to raise awareness of and to care for this rather unloved animal, patrolling marine reserves and exposing corruption and greed.
• Whales: From Japan to Iceland and Norway and in many other places in the world, Sea Shepherd’’s Direct Action Crews are saving whales from extinction.
• Saving the Mexican Gulf
Manuel Abraas is Secretary of the organisation and Area Coordinator Bremen.
On request we can advise other net participants, give a presentation, and provide up to date information and contacts in the field of our work.