Otra Cosa NetworkLas Camelias 431
13000 Huanchaco, La Libertad
|Phone No.:||+51 44 461302|
|Contact person:||Jaci Braga|
- Overnight facilities
- Volunteers are welcome.
- Aid organization
- Commune, community project
- Educational policy/project
Otra Cosa Network (OCN), founded in 2004, is both a UK charity and a Peru registered NGO. OCN is a low cost volunteering, non-governmental organization, that provides support linking volunteers from other areas around the world with various community projects mainly in Northern Peru.
Our mission is to improve the quality of life for the communities in which we operate, primarily through matching qualified, international volunteers to projects in need.
OCN has connected up with various Peruvian charities and organizations looking for willing and capable volunteers interested in enriching their travels to Peru with working as a volunteer for some time. We have contacts with over 20 organizations that need volunteers to support their regular work and special projects.
• Library Project: Municipal library, that allows for a venue where volunteers teach children, from the poorer state schools in Huanchaco, basic English
• Volunteer Language School: The language school offers free classes to the poorer children and adults in Trujillo.
Working with Children
• Mundo de Niños: a home for ex-street kids, where the children come from disadvantaged situations that lead them to working at very young ages as well as venturing into drug and alcohol abuse. These children are brought into a loving, secure home lifestyle where they can develop as children natural should.
• A.C.J. Educational Day Centre: A.C.J. is a Peruvian version of the YMCA.
• Tulio Herrera León - School for the Blind and Disabled
• FairMail: FairMail is a fair trade postcard company, that works with teenagers who were once living on the street exploited as child labour working on a rubbish tip.
Alternative Socially Responsible Projects
• Un Lugar Surf School offers free surfing and skateboarding lessons and materials to local youth who can’t afford these things.
• Abandoned Dogs’ Home
• Sustainable Tourism Agency is a start-up project with a clear alternative philosophy of promoting environmentally sound tourism, for example as well as minimizing any environmental damage
You can find more projects on our website ( www.otracosa.org )
Jaci Braga is the Operations Manager of Otra Cosa Network - Peru.
For other net participants we can offer an expert guidance through trained staff, give an expert opinion, procure expert information and establish new contacts in the field of our work