CODA Community Development and Action International
CODA InternationalADKC Centre, Whitstable House, Silchester Road,
London W10 6SB
|Phone No.:||+44 208 960 8888 ext. 21|
|Contact person:||Samira Yussuf|
- Volunteers are welcome.
- Aid organization
- Educational policy/project
- Social policy/disabled persons
Community Development and Action International (CODA International), established in 1989, is a UK-based international development organisation working to reduce poverty and injustice in Latin America, Africa and the Middle East.
CODA International works in partnership with civil society organisations from Latin America, Southern Africa and the Middle East. We provide the support and facilitate the resources – financial and advisory- that will enable civil society organisations to consolidate their institutional capacity and achieve their goals in a sustainable way.
We believe that training and capacity building are key elements that empower poor and marginalised communities to participate and influence the process of policy-making in their own countries. To achieve empowerment, it is important to strengthen the programming and lobbying capacity of community based organisations and that of their members.
CODA International has been involved in building capacities locally in the regions where we work in order to enable social movements and community groups to
• Conduct their own analysis of public policies and demand necessary changes such as law reforms from decision makers
• Design monitoring tools to enable poor people to assess public services provision at municipality level
• Influence decision making around policies of public health with regard to HIV/AIDS, inclusive education, and participatory budgeting
• Improve the access of women to legal assistance in cases of gender based violence.
Projects in Latin America:
• We are co-managing a project with the Nicaragua Association for Community Integration (ASNIC) that aims to include children with disabilities in mainstream schools.
• In El Salvador, we are working with a wide range of community based organisations in order to promote civil participation at national level.
• In addition, we are working alongside the Confederation of Unions of Salvadoran Workers to allow for the unionisation of public sector workers.
Projects in Africa:
• We are currently working with Ithembalabantu in KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa. The project aims to improve access to retro-viral drugs and provide support to families affected by HIV and AIDS in order to establish small income-generation projects.
• We are also working with Women and Law in Southern Africa- Zambia Section (WLSA-Zambia). Our partnership aims to reform the Zambian Bill of Rights and therefore create more opportunities for women to access justice and put an end to a state of affairs where violence against women carries no sanction.
Projects in Middle East:
• CODA supports Palestinians in their struggle to construct a strong and effective social infrastructure. We aim to strengthen the capacity of progressive civil society movements in the region to attain social justice and establish more democratic and participatory policy-making systems.
• We are currently establishing links with different movements which want to include women and young people in decision-making processes, by means such as the reform of the Palestinian Bill of Rights.
Samira Yussuf is the Executive Director of CODA International.
For other net participants we can offer an expert guidance through trained staff, give an expert opinion, procure expert information and establish new contacts in the field of our work.