The Gaia FoundationElysium Environment Centre, Ghajn Tuffieha Rd
MLĦ 5510 Ghajn Tuffieha
|Phone No.:||+356 21584474|
|Contact person:||Rudolf Ragonesi|
- Volunteers are welcome.
- Environmental organization
- Educational policy/project
- Aid organization
Project Gaia is based upon integrated coastal zone management in the Maltese islands. We are a non profit, non government organisation set up in June 1994 to specialise in this field of environment management. Gaia is part of the Global Ecovillage Network, member of the Worldwatch Institute, and part of the Gaia Movement world wide.
The mission of the Foundation is to carry out hands on project implementation in the fields of environment and integrated coastal zone management. An essential part of its work includes the development of models for a sustainable society. These models incorporate a holistic approach to living, reflecting nature and mother earth itself, from which the Foundation derives its name.
The Foundation believes that a healthy democracy is based upon heightened awareness of citizens and active participation in their community. As the principles of governance develop, so does the role of civil society.
Gaia is named after productive Mother Earth in Greek mythology. Project Gaia is the name given to The Gaia Foundation’s work on the integrated management of specially protected areas in the Maltese Islands.
• Apollo: Visitor centres promoting the Gaia vision
• Athene: Reestablishing olive growth and agroforestry
• Elysium: Encouraging biodiversity and ecological restoration of habitats
• Galatea: Management of Coastal Cultural Heritage
• Hermes: Information and Awareness
• Midas: Promotion of eco-friendly, fairly traded products and organic products
• Odysseus: Promoting eco-tourism
• Olympus: Coastal area conservation through monitoring, maintenance, patrols and enforcement of regulations
• Persephone: Promoting sustainable agriculture
• Phoenix: Encouraging waste reduction
• Poseidon: Marine conservation
Rudolf Ragonesi is the Executive Director of The Gaia Foundation.
For other net participants we can offer an expert guidance through trained staff, give an expert opinion, procure expert information and establish new contacts in the field of our work.