Palestinian Centre for Human Rights (PCHR)P.O.Box 1328, 29 Omar El Mukhtar Street
|Phone No.:||+972 (8) 2824-776; +972 (8)2825-893; +972 (0) 59 608811|
|Fax No.:||+972 (8) 2824-776; +972 (8)2825-893|
|Contact person:||Raji Sourani|
- Volunteers are welcome.
- Human rights
- Peace politics
- Educational policy/project
The Palestinian Centre for Human Rights (PCHR) is a Gaza City-based NGO dedicated to protecting human rights, promoting the rule of law and upholding democratic principles in the occupied Palestinian territory. Most of the Centre’s activities and interests concentrate on the Gaza Strip due to the restriction on movement between the West Bank and Gaza Strip imposed by the Israeli government and its military apparatus.
Established in 1995 by Palestinian human rights lawyers, the Palestinian Centre for Human Rights is an independent, not for profit, non-governmental organisation based in Gaza, which:
• Investigates and exposes human rights violations in the OPT.
• Provides legal representation to victims of human rights violations.
• Provides education and training in international human rights standards and international humanitarian law.
• Campaigns and Advocates for the rule of law, good governance and representative, participative decision making.
The work of the Centre is conducted through documentation and investigation of human rights violations, provision of legal aid and counseling for both individuals and groups, and preparation of research articles relevant to such issues as the human rights situation and the rule of law. The Centre also provides comments on Palestinian Draft Laws and urges the adoption of legislation that incorporates international human rights standards and basic democratic principles. To achieve its goals, the Centre has recruited a committed staff of well-known human rights lawyers and activists.
• Protecting human rights and promoting the rule of law in accordance with international standards.
• Creating and developing democratic institutions and an active civil society, while promoting democratic culture within Palestinian society.
• Supporting all the efforts aimed at enabling the Palestinian people to exercise its inalienable rights in regard to self-determination and independence in accordance with International Law and UN resolutions.
PCHR enjoys consultative status with the ECOSOC of the United Nations, is an affiliate of the International Federation for Human Rights (FIDH), the Euro Mediterranean Human Rights Network and the Arab Organisation for Human Rights. The Centre has close links with international friends and partners and is member of the International Commission of Jurists (ICJ Geneva). PCHR was awarded the Award of the French Republic in 1996 and the Bruno Kreisky Human Rights Award in 2002. In 2009, PCHR was awarded the Human Rights Prize of Andalucía.
Raji Sourani is the Director of PCHR.
For other net participants we can offer an expert guidance through trained staff, give an expert opinion, procure expert information and establish new contacts in the field of our work.