The Oceania ProjectPO Box 646
2481 NSW Byron Bay
|Telefon:||+61 (0)2 6685 8128; +61 (0)418 797 326|
- Nous acceuillons les bénévoles à bras ouverts.
- Organisation de l'environnement
The Oceania Project, established in 1988, is a Not-for-profit, Research and Information organisation dedicated to Raising Awareness about Cetacea (Whales, Dolphins and Porpoises) and the Ocean Environment through original research, dissemination of information, education and net-working.
The Oceania Project is conducting a long-term study - commenced in 1992 - of the social and ecological significance of Hervey Bay for the Area V humpback whales and social behaviour and social organisation of humpback whales in Hervey Bay, Queensland Australia. The Expedition vessel 'Moon Dancer' is a 12m-power catamaran.
The Oceania Project is affiliated with Southern Cross University incorporating the Southern Cross University Whale Research Centre (SCUWRC) and the Centre for Animal Conservation Genetics (SCU CACG) and is an affiliate of the South Pacific Whale Research Consortium (SPWRC).
• To promote community awareness and co-operation to instigate and maintain the process of rehabilitation, preservation and conservation of Cetacea and the Oceans;
• The promotion and undertaking of scientific research of Cetacea and the Oceans for the benefit of the community;
• To provide environmentally sensitive Ocean platforms for non-manipulative research, education and experiential programmes of Cetacea and the Oceans using sensitive vessels;
• To educate and promote a community awareness and understanding of the significance of Cetacea and the Oceans;
• To establish and maintain facilities and services necessary to disseminate and present information about Cetacea and the Oceans;
• To promote worldwide awareness of the need for the rehabilitation, preservation and conservation of Cetacea and the Oceans by liaising and communicating with international governments and bodies and relevant organisations and individuals.
• SoundNet: The Electronic Newsletter of The Oceania Project
• The Oceania Project’s Annual Whale Research Expedition: The Expedition is a platform for a long-term Research Program on the ecology and behaviour of the Humpback Whales visiting Hervey Bay.
• The Oceania Youth Project: This project encourages young adults (aged 14 to 18 years) to participate in the Annual Whale and Dolphin Expedition to Hervey Bay.
• iWhales: The Oceania Project's shop-front for conservation and education oriented DVDS, CDs, films, photography, songs, sounds, documentaries and more.
Trish and Wally Franklin are the Founders of The Oceania Project.
For other net participants we can offer an expert guidance through trained staff, give an expert opinion, procure expert information and establish new contacts in the field of our work.