Nkosi's Haven34 Vereeniging Service Road, Alan Manor 2091
Afrique du Sud
|Interlocuteur:||Gail Johnson, Tiny Koen|
- Nous acceuillons les bénévoles à bras ouverts.
- Organisation d'aide
- Politique sociale/hommes handicapés
- Politique + projet d'éducation
Nkosi’s Haven is a recognized NGO in South Africa that has been in operation since 1999 offering holistic care and support for destitute HIV/AIDS infected mothers, her children, and resulting AIDS orphans (infected or not).
Named after Nkosi Johnson, the young AIDS activist, the philosophy and concept of the organization is to keep the mother and child unit together in a non-judgmental, non- discriminatory, accepting and normal environment.
At Nkosi’s Haven, all of our mothers and children live in total ‘freedom’ at one of our two locations in Johannesburg. All of our children attend private schools (in the bridging sense), receive all disciplines of therapy. Our mothers are encouraged to build their capacity through various activities, during which, if leadership and initiative is shown, an internal position will be offered (such as cook, childcare worker, matron, resident manager etc.) Further, we ask mothers to ‘foster’ our young resident orphans, hopefully providing for some additional support in substitute for the loss of their own mothers.
• Nkosi's Haven (Berea): Our first location is situated north east of Johannesburg. There we offer the children and their mothers a friendly environment with holistic care and support.
• Nkosi's Haven Village: Our second location is situated south of Johannesburg. Currently the village consists of 17 resident cottages, a sickbay, a therapy block, a library, a baby daycare, workshops and classrooms for additional onsite education and skill building, a leisure room, an upgraded kitchen,a computer room, a sports field and our main administrative offices. Future projects are a music and arts center and an onsite preschool.
• Nkosi's 4Life Farm: This project will accommodate destitute HIV/AIDS infected mothers and their children on the informal settlement of Orange Farm and the surrounding area. We hope to use this new site not only to grow food to feed an increasing number of residents at all three locations, but as a site for individual capacity building, and economic empowerment through the sale of surplus crops and products made by the resident mothers.
• Nkosi's Haven Vukani: Nkosi’s Haven receives 50% of the funding through collection by the Soweto Gospel Choir. The other 50% is transferred into a separate account, Nkosi’s Haven Vukani. These funds are used to support carefully selected organizations operating in the townships that care for children orphaned by AIDS.
We offer opportunities for volunteers to participate in our project and obtain skills and insights that they can utilize for the rest of their lives.
Gail Johnson is the founding director and Tiny Koen is the fundraiser on the board of Nkosi's Haven. Dave Wollam is the current chairperson of the board
For other net participants we can offer an expert guidance through trained staff, give an expert opinion, procure expert information and establish new contacts in the field of our work. We can also provide products for other NGO’s for resale and fundraising.