Umthombo Street Children4 Giligan Street, Point West Centre
Afrique du Sud
|Telefon:||+27 (0)31 337 9222 ; +27 (0)83 287 2563|
|Telefax:||+27 (0)31 368 7632|
- Organisation d'aide
- Politique sociale/hommes handicapés
Umthombo is a registered South African non-profit organization, founded in 1998 and an unique South African street children organization, which aims to change the way that society perceives and treats street children through educating society as to the realities of the street child experience and through developing and implementing informed, working strategies to address the issue in South African cities.
Umthombo's ultimate goal is to change the way that society perceives and treats street children in South Africa. It has two main programs, one focusing on grass roots action, the other on strategy development.
• The Durban Street Team (DST): a street based outreach team operating in Durban that identifies children on the streets, builds relationships of trust with them, assists them and empowers them to be able to leave the streets and become reintegrated with their families and/or communities. It also has an extensive aftercare and monitoring program for those children who have left the streets.
• The Street-child Consciousness Team (SCT): a think tank consisting of and led by former street children which educates society as to the realities of the street child experience and develops city-wide strategies and other strategy and policy proposals around the issue. It is the advocacy and policy wing of Umthombo and a powerful voice from the streets.
• Outreach: Street work, identifying children and building relationship of trust. Also, identifying street issues, understanding street-life and providing basic human rights to street children.
• Reintegration: Community reintegration program.
• Drop-in Centre: Safe space for street children based in the Point area of Durban.
• Health: Mobile health clinic for street children.
• Aftercare: support and mentoring for children reintegrated back into community.
• Mentoring (18-25's):Program for street youth who have grown up as street children.
• Advocacy: Advocating on behalf of street children.
Tom Hewitt is the Chief Executive Officer of Umthombo.
For other net participants we can offer an expert guidance through trained staff, give an expert opinion, procure expert information and establish new contacts in the field of our work.