Jugendhilfe Ostafrika e.V.Blattwiesenstr. 6
|Contact person:||Eva Rudolph|
- Aid for developing countries
- Women's policy
The non profit-making organisation Jugendhilfe Ostafrika (Youth Aid East Africa) was founded in 1990 by people interested in East Africa. We promote the bicycle as the only sensible means of transport in East Africa and organise “bicycle sponsorships”. To this end, we cooperate with projects such as Bicycle Sponsorship Project & Workshop (BSPW). We support Children’s Homes in Uganda and provide rural midwives and doctors with trailers (Bicycle Ambulances).
Bicycle sponsorships: donations enable a family or project to purchase a bicycle. The bicycles are assembled in workshops attached to orphanages or projects. People who are au fait with the situation on the ground determine who should receive them.
Achievements to date:
• Provision of a bicycle workshop for young people in the orphanage "St. Moses Children Care Centre" in Jinja, Building accommodation for workers.
• Establishment of a bicycle credit scheme for women, using public subsidies
• Import of women’s bicycles
• Organisation of the first international bicycle conference in Africa (PABIC, Pan African Bicycle Congress) in Jinja
• So far over 30,000 bicycles have been distributed to individuals, cooperatives or projects, either free of charge or at reduced prices.
• Regular financial support for the Children’s Home "Morence Mpora"
• Arranging further bicycle sponsorships
• Giving women better access to bicycles
• Campaigning for tax concessions for bicycles, bicycle lobbying in Uganda and neighbouring countries.
• Continuing to develop bicycle ambulances and transport bicycles
• Distributing solar stoves and energy-saving wood ovens
Eva Rudolph is a member of Jugendhilfe Ostafrika.
On request we can offer other net participants advice, and provide up to date information and contacts in the field of our work.