European Institute for Sustainable TransportWeidenbaumsweg 13
|Telefon:||+49 (0) 40-53 27 87 40|
|Telefax:||+49 (0) 40-57 28 52 94|
- Aide pour des pays en voie de dévellopement
- Organisation de l'environnement
EURIST e.V., European Institute for Sustainable Transport, based in Germany, is a project-oriented non-profit organisation, working internationally in politics and research.
The main objectives include transport and housing policies:
• reducing car traffic, encouraging non-motorized traffic (NMV)
• restructuring communications networks
• improving mobility for the disabled
• containment of housing schemes, revitalization and consolidation of inner cities, configuration and use of urban areas by and for people.
At present, the work of the EURIST e.V. is focussing on the development of transport solutions, fighting poverty and the mitigation of global warming.
Present projects in the core areas of Africa and Eastern Europe:
• Health care in Africa: improvement of medical provisions (vaccination campaigns, AIDS information) for the people of Uganda, using “bicycle ambulances” (in cooperation with the Ugandan organisation FABIO).
• The African Transport and Environment - Science Technology (TEST) Network: an international initiative to improve scientific research into problems such as traffic collapse, air pollution and road safety in Africa.
• Bus Rapid Transit in Africa: the mitigation of the massive transport problems by innovative, effective and low-cost public transport systems.
• Urban non-motorized traffic (NMV): increasing town planners’ awareness of the needs of cyclists and pedestrians.
Main areas of concern:
• technical support for municipal authorities
• the recording and publicizing of practical research
• the organisation of meetings and workshops
• lobbying for more sensible policies
Dr. Jürgen Perschon is the director of EURIST e.V.
On request, we can offer other net participants advice, up-to-date information and contacts in the field of our work.