Freundeskreis Indianerhilfe e.V.Friedrich-Ebert-Platz 17
|Phone No.:||+49 (0)214-96 00 967|
|Fax No.:||+49 (0)214-312 78 91|
|Contact person:||Bernhard Rappert|
- Aid organization
- Aid for developing countries
- Educational policy/project
The Freundeskreis Indianerhilfe (American Indian Aid Circle) or FKI is a successor to the German Aid for the Albert Schweitzer Amazon Hospital. Since its foundation in 1958 it has been supporting needy American Indians and mestizos (people of mixed American Indian and European ancestry) in Mexico, the Amazon jungle in Peru, and in the Bolivian Highlands. FKI is a non profit making organisation dedicated to standing by the indigenous peoples of Latin America in their endeavours to retain their culture.
The American Indian Aid Circle
• encourages Indians to assert themselves against unwanted outside influences and to cultivate their own conception of cultural, social and economic development.
• puts them in touch with social and economic development which will satisfy their basic needs.
• supports them in implementing and preserving their claim to their own land and the conservation of their environment and resources.
• strengthens their sense of self respect and dignity and of the value of their indigenous knowledge. Thus a balance can be found between the knowledge arising out of their culture and that which is introduced from outside.
• avoids new dependences by helping them to help themselves.
The FKI projects are small scale, flexible and long tern. They are need-oriented and participatory. The FKI helps people to help themselves. People are encouraged to use their own initiative and to organise themselves. The key to making the projects work in the long run is to qualify our Indian partners.
• Health care: building health posts, building up a health care system by training American Indian care workers (promoters)
• Education: building schools and kindergartens, literacy courses, promoting bilingual lessons, sponsoring schools.
• in Europe: events in schools, churches and private accommodation to inform people about the American Indians.
Bernhard Rapper is the Business Manager and head of FKI.
On request we can offer other net participants advice, give a presentation and provide up to date information and contacts in the field of our work.