Village EarthPO Box 797, Fort Collins
|Fax No.:||+1-970-237-3026, +1-970-491-2729|
|Contact person:||David Bartecchi|
- Aid for developing countries
Village Earth is a non-for-profit organization and was officially incorporated in 1993.
Village Earth's mission is to help reconnect communities to the resources that promote human well-being by enhancing social and political empowerment, community self-reliance and self-determination. We do this by empowering communities to sustainably access and manage the resources needed to achieve their vision for the future by working directly with communities as allies, distributing appropriate technology information, as well as providing training, consultation and networking services to individuals, communities and organizations around the globe.
• We believe that communities must be empowered to access and manage the resources they need to be self-sufficient and sustainable and that transparency and participatory decision-making is central to the goal of social justice and sustainability.
• We trust and value the ability of local communities to shape and create their own vision for the future, as well as the path to move toward it.
• We believe that working toward ecological sustainability must be a priority for all societies to ensure peace and prosperity for all peoples.
• We appreciate and respect the diversity and differences among our constituents and our collaborators.
Village Earth achieves its mission through a number of activities, including:
• Training individuals and organizations in the Village Earth approach to sustainable community-based development.
• Consulting with individuals and organizations to help promote more equitable and community-based approaches.
• Providing external and participatory evaluations of development programs and projects.
• Networking organizations around the world to ensure greater cooperation and communication.
Village Earth has allied with Lakota families on the Pine Ridge Reservation in South Dakota; the Shipibo Nation in Peru's Amazon Basin; tribal communities in West Bengal, India; Mayan communities in Guatemala; and disadvantaged neighborhoods in Phnom Penh, Cambodia.
David Bartecchi is the Executive Director of Village Earth.