Straßensozialarbeit in BerlinSchumannstr. 5
|Telefon:||+49 (0)30 283023-14|
|Telefax:||+49 (0)30 283023-19|
- Politique sociale/hommes handicapés
Gangway was founded in Berlin in 1990 and is supported by the Senate and the boroughs and by donations.
Gangway: this stands for streetwork with juveniles in Berlin. About 60 street workers, in 16 teams, work in 9 boroughs. We go where the youngsters meet: on public places and streets. We orient ourselves on the interests of the youngsters, suggest ways of fulfilling their needs and act as a mouthpiece for them.
Our aim is to support the young people and help them take responsibility for their own lives. We find solutions to their problems, we help them when dealing with public authorities or looking for a job, we liaise when there is conflict at school or with their parents. We want them to discover their potential and to continue to develop.
• Gangway Beatz is a hip-hop music project in which music is produced by socially disadvantaged teenagers from the streets of Berlin, working closely with social workers.
• Diversity is a good thing: we take part in various ways in the national programme “Youth for Diversity, Tolerance and Democracy” to foster development and to implement effective projects to combat tendencies towards right wing extremism, xenophobia and anti-Semitism amongst juveniles.
• The Gangway Football League is a meeting place for young people from different parts of the city.
• G.I.G.A. – Young people learn from each other; juveniles have founded their own event company.
• Community Addiction Life: action week on the subject of “Addiction at the centre of society”.
• Non-violence and skills training.
• “Going Straight” is a Gangway project which helps young people to find their way to a life within the law after they have been released from prison.
• Transit – a project for cross-cultural addiction work etc.
Elvira Berndt is the director of Gangway.
On request we can offer other net participants advice or give a presentation. We can supply information and contacts in the field of our work.